Archives For March 2010

>”Heads Up Display” status:

Console work (bug 534398): Removed all /browser/ aspects of this patch. Asked Vlad for first-pass review.

I am sure it still needs some “distilling”, etc.

Filed more bugs to block the tracking bug 529086
Created a JS sandbox/interpreter interface. This seems to be an EARLY mock up of “JS Workspaces” as Mr. robcee likes to call them.

Actually got some key bindings working on the input textbox: ctrl-a, ctrl-e, and to some extent “history” (up arrow, down arrow)

All code is checked into user repo:

Began working on implementation of HTTP traffic observation and understanding of how “Load Groups” work. (thanks Mossop)
Latest screen grab is here, again this is with zero thinking/commiseration about UI (with UX team), etc…:

Try build is cooking this evening, will update when it is finished. Here they are:

We grilled Fajitas on Thursday at work, OH YEAH!


Answer first pass review with code and comments, keep on working on HTTP observation, console JS evaluation.

> Closed bug 545266 and bug 546708 – toolkit and browser “scaffolding”

Heads Up Display, console (bug 534398): I have gotten a try-server build to work. It is not pretty, but it works. You can call console.log(“I am a log message”); from content and it works. The API follows Firebug: console.log, console.warn, console.error,

I am re-factoring things right now to move most functionality into toolkit as well as isolating things out of a jsm and into 2 components.
Setup a user repo at:


Pretty current try build is here:

Url to test try build is here:


More refactoring, hoping to ask for a review on monday from Mr. Mossop.

> The current console patches are found on bug 545266 and bug 546708 – also try builds will start once things are actually usable – I hope end of next week. It turns out that trying to attach (and keep attached) an arbitrary object on a nsIDOMWindow is a it of a pain – from outside the window’s constructor. sicking told me about his patch for detecting new windows (before content scripts run) and attaching objects to them: bug 549539 – which landed late today. Yay. With this patch on trunk it should be trivial now to detect window construction and attach a console.


Work with the new window detection hooks to implement the observer that keeps window consoles re-appearing. Every load of the browser creates a new nsIDOMWindow – news to me, anyway.


I may need some initial “WIP CSS” help to pretty up the logging output. I’ll try my hand at it next week after I have gotten the initial event handling worked out.

>I am currently working on some “baked in” developer tools for web and extension developers.  This is the current status on the “console” piece.

Republished from the Mozilla Status Board:


Spent the entire week on DevTools: “HeadsUpDisplay” bugs (bug 546708 and bug 545266). I have pretty much completed the work on these bugs, and will be filing new ones for the next phase, which is writing xpcshell tests for the HeadsUpDisplay service and browser chrome tests for what is part of the browser UI and Javascript module (HeadsUpDisplay.jsm).

The only gotcha is my attempt to make “contentWindow.wrappedJSObject.console = new Console();” to actually work.

I thought I had it working, but the wrapper is not working from content scripts. In the meantime I can write tests from the chrome side to make sure my internal methods are doing the right thing.

Worked with Mak on bug 543888 “Places API skeleton (API design)”

Worked on a CSS bug for Linux: Progress “Line” indicator for background loading tabs bug 544818

More of the same. Plan on revisiting “Update action” bug 538331

Ask mrbkap about my use of wrapedJSObject